Nestled in lush rainforest, the Glacier Hot Pools is a haven of natural tranquillity and the perfect way for visitors to unwind and experience a blissful state of pure relaxation after travelling along Te Tai o Poutini (The West Coast) or enjoying one of its many attractions.
The Glacier Hot Pools are fed by the waters of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere, the frozen tears of Hinehukatere for her lost love. According to the legends of Ngai Tahu (the local Maori tribe), these tears of aroha (love) were frozen by the gods, forming what is known worldwide as the Franz Josef Glacier, or to Ngai Tahu as Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere – The Frozen Tears of Hinehukatere.
The three invitingly warm main pools and three secluded private pools are nestled within the bosom of Tane Mahuta – Guardian of the Forest with his children, the native bush and birdlife creating a tranquil space to revive your tinana (body), hinengaro (mind) and wairua (spirt).
Private Pools –
• A totally unique, romantic, oasis in the rainforest!
• Our private pools are set back on the property and surrounded by the majestic rainforest, offering the very best in seclusion.
• The private pools have their own changing facilities with towels provided, as well as complimentary entry into the public pools.
• The fresh glacier water for the private pools is re-filtered after every use.
• Private pools are 45 minutes in duration.
• The three private pools have been gifted their names by the local Maori tribe, Te Runanga o Makaawhio, they are:
• Te Wai Whakahaumanu – The reviving waters, Te Wai Whakawai – The easing waters and Te Wai Taurima – The tending waters
The pools are conveniently located in the heart of Franz Josef township on Cron Street, and can be enjoyed all year round from 1 pm to 9pm (Last entry 8pm).